Monday, May 12, 2008

Rain=Misery

This is me smiling. The only smiling that I did on this particular backpacking trip is on Saturday and when we got to our car on Sunday.
Things I've learned:
1. Carrying a backpack on your back makes hiking at least twice as hard.
2. Water is heavy.
3. Mud makes hiking at least twice as hard.
4. Sleeping on a hard ground sucks.
5. Rain makes everything very wet, very heavy, and very awful!
6. And for some positives--the trail that we went on was beautiful!
7. Freeze dried food really isn't all that bad.
8. Chad is an excellent planner--all of our food, water, equipment, maps, etc. worked perfectly.
9. Chad and I are tougher than I originally thought.
10. Chad is an eternal optimist, even in the rain when I'm yelling at him.

Quick Overview of the Trip:
Saturday: Arrived at 3 and hiked for 5 hours for a total of approximately 9-10 miles. Stopped to set up camp when we were deliriously tired. Sleeping on the ground without an air mattress is not fun, even when you're dead tired.
Sunday: It wasn't supposed to rain until 11 or 12 in the afternoon; however, we woke to raindrops on the tent at 6:30/7. Then, I spent the worst morning hiking that I have ever experienced. It was absolute misery. I actually cried...twice. I wanted to give up countless times but I had to keep sloshing through the deep mud, hills, tree branches, and never ending trail because I had to keep going or die. At 10:30, 5-6 miles later, our nightmare ended when we reached the car.

Even though I was intent upon selling my recently purchased backpack on ebay on Sunday, I think that I'll backpack again...when there is no rain.



4 comments:

Kristin said...

Aww, poor Jenn. You are a certified badass now, though.

This is why Andy and I were rethinking going to Denver with you when the trip included some backpacking.

Keith said...

Good work! Now that is an amusing post.

Kristin said...

Nice photo. Now write something, dammit.

Anonymous said...

Wah, wah, wah! CRY BABY! Hahahahah! But seriously, that was a funny post.